Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

Day 31: Hope

Today I'm thankful for hope.  This post comes with a little bit of a back story so I hope you have some coffee and a comfy chair while you're reading. ;)

A little over a year ago, Doad and I decided to start trying to have a baby.  Most people say to try for a year before you should start worrying.  Well our one year mark came and went and I don't really know what I was thinking (or maybe I was just trying not to think about it) but I just assumed that it was gonna happen soon and we'd just give it a few more months before we actually start to worry.  Right around that time, I went to the doctor for something totally unrelated, but mentioned that we had been trying to get pregnant so she added some hormone testing to the labs she ordered for me.

The test results kind of blindsided me.  I went in for my follow-up expecting to just get the all clear for a kidney infection that I'd been dealing with.  Instead my doctor told me that I had PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome).  This is basically a hormonal imbalance that makes pregnancy difficult.

We did some further blood testing and discovered that I also have a genetic mutation called MTHFR which affects my ability to methylate properly.  I'm still learning what all of this means, but basically my liver is taking what is has detoxified and storing it in my body instead of getting rid of it.  This may or may not be what is contributing to the hormonal imbalance as well as some other health problems.

Doad and I kept this to ourselves for a little bit.  We really wanted to be able to "surprise" our friends and families with exciting baby news (although, I'm pretty sure everyone's been waiting for the news forever) ;)

We finally got to a point though, where we needed the prayers and support from them more than the surprise.  As we shared, it felt like a burden was lifted from our shoulders as friends and family helped to carry it with us.  They've prayed with and for us, they've listened to us vent and encouraged us, and they've given us hope when we're struggling be hopeful on our own.

On my good days, I find myself asking God to be glorified through this story.  I could go thru this time of waiting and longing with a bad attitude, kicking and screaming the whole way, and honestly, sometimes this happens, but I'm also trying my best to choose joy.  To choose to trust.  To choose to have hope. And in the mean time, I'm sharing our story with you in hopes that I can glorify God, bring encouragement to others, and maybe provide some friendship to someone in a similar position.

I know that this story will have a happy ending.  I don't know how long it will take to get to the ending, or how exactly it's going to look when I get there, but I know it will be good.  So today I'm thankful for hope.  I'm thankful that when our baby does come that we will have a story to tell of how many people prayed and hoped with us for him or her.  I'm thankful for the love and support that has come from sharing.  And I'm thankful for the opportunity to bring God glory and let Him shine in a situation that could be sad and hopeless, but instead is bringing growth and faith.



Will you pray and hope with us, friends?  We are looking forward to sharing the journey with you.




No comments: